As per Alex Miller at The Star: Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Tyler Onyango is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after suffering an ACL injury just 14 minutes into his league debut for the club.
The 23-year-old was forced off during Saturday's 2-1 victory at Leyton Orient, having started in central midfield following Billy Mitchell's injury absence.
Onyango initially attempted to continue after going down following contact with an Orient player, but after being assessed by Wednesday's medical staff he was withdrawn and replaced by Jarvis Thornton.
Speaking ahead of Thursday night's meeting with Bradford City, Henrik Pedersen confirmed the severity of the injury and admitted Onyango could potentially miss the remainder of the campaign.
"I think he'll be out for the season," Pedersen said. "Maybe not for this season, but for many months. It's so sad for him, so sad for him."
It is a particularly cruel setback for a player who had only recently begun a fresh chapter at Hillsborough.
Onyango joined Wednesday as a free agent earlier this month following his departure from Everton, signing a three-year contract with the Owls.
The former Everton youngster had spent time on loan with Burton Albion, Forest Green Rovers and Stockport County during his career and arrived in South Yorkshire looking to establish himself with regular first-team football.
Instead, his first League One appearance for Wednesday lasted just 14 minutes.
Pedersen said the club's medical team are currently looking after Onyango, with the Wednesday boss intending to speak with the midfielder again next week.
"Only shortly after the game, and then the doc and the physiotherapist are taking care of him, and then I'll make a follow-up next week," he said. "It's so sad for him, he's a good player."
Wednesday will now have to plan for an extended period without one of their summer additions, with the exact timeframe for Onyango's recovery still to become clear.
Source: Alex Miller, The Star.
Image Credit : SWFC.co.uk
